Tuesday, September 17, 2013

What are the odds?


Odds was something that I really struggled with last Spring.  I got it long enough to pass the test, but never really understood it.  I really liked the way this teacher explained it.  She had already taught us how to find the probability of an event happening and I got that pretty good.  So then she explained that the odds in favor are the number of successes over failures.  For some reason, this made a lot more sense this way.

As I searched the internet trying to find something interesting or informative about odds I got very frustrated.  Most of the hits for odds were really for probability.  There were even some that had odds in the title of their worksheets, however they explained probability.  Here is a good page that explains the difference between probability and odds.  It even links to a printable PDF worksheet.


I also found a YouTube that illustrates the difference between probability and odds.  Although I must warn you, it is a very silly video - but it makes its point.


2 comments:

  1. I loved the way you began this post with the real-life probability statistic. What an attention getter! It helps me a lot when I'm able to relate information I'm learning with something real like that. It just makes a lot more sense. You did a really good job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right the video was silly! But it also shows how probability and odds can be found with just about anything.

    ReplyDelete